Thursday, April 17, 2014

No bike news today - RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I don't know which makes me more sad - that he is dead, or that I actually didn't know he was still alive and was caught by surprise by the news.

I'll pour out a Pisco sour for him (well, pour out a smidge, anyway, that stuff's too good to waste). And maybe resolve to actually sit down and read a book again. Man, kids hurt your reading time bad...

For those folks who couldn't manage 100 years of Solitude and gave up on him - try Love in the Time of Cholera. The first 20 or 30 pages are dense but if you manage that introduction you'll be laughing/crying your ass off.

2 comments:

Steveo said...

pbanlThanks Walt, I profess my ignorance but read his obit, a great man indeed. Amazon has my order.

steve garro said...

I read everything he wrote at least once, and some classics three times - ever read "Autumn of the Patriarch" which has only two periods total for punctuation in a pretty thick tome?