Thursday, June 10, 2010

Returning a favor...

Jeff is an ER doc (as well as the brains behind Alchemist) and he helped me out the other day with some gnarly metal that got in my eye - so in exchange, I built him this (prototype) bike mower.

It works pretty well, but the gearing (22x14 fixed) is way too high - I'm thinking you'd want more like 1:1 or even lower. Pretty fun idea, though, even if it's not too practical for steep hillsides or tight areas (though with the fixie, it's easy to back up). I think we can make it into the Daily Camera with this, so we gotta plaster some Alchemist and WW stickers all over the place.

I apologize for not wearing my helmet (in fact, I did almost crash at one point...)

10 comments:

inthewoods said...

Looks like you should set it up for an endomorph tire with ~14psi to save the sod. Keep it "fixed" with a hammerschmidt for 2 speed action. Or I think there is a 3-speed fixed hub available now too.

Walt said...

Yeah, this was just a proof of concept kind of deal - and this was the only fixed frame (other than my track bike) that we had sitting around.

It would be much better with a lower gear (and the Hammerschmidt is a great idea) and a giant low-pressure tire. Even just a 2.3" mountain bike tire at <20 psi would be better than the CX tire we have on there.

There will probably be another version that is quite a bit better, but this works well enough that it might just get used anyway!

uidzer0 said...

Nice! It's a much prettier version of a rig I built for a buddy last year: http://picasaweb.google.com/casey.dentinger/Mower#5370684866016324114

The initial ~1:1 ratio was a bit much so last week I welded a small road chain-ring to a 16t fixed cog to ease things up a bit.

Walt said...

Uidzer - freakin' sweet! Good to hear I'm not just a huge sissy - the gear felt *WAY* too high. I bet a 20x22 or something would be perfect. Or even lower. Spin to win, baby!

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Very Good.

Eszter said...

That is...AWESOME!

I still have your yellow tape...doh! I fail.

Ed said...

Oh man, that's great.

Ed

steve-o said...

there are no words...

chris said...

sweet. rad. you should ride it on the cruiser ride.

Anonymous said...

I almost fell over backwards in my chair here monday morning....beautiful. Hopefully this does get posted in the camera...it would be some best news shared to date lately.