Sunday, April 26, 2009

Walt's screwup of the month

Sheesh. What a weekend (for those who hate whining, navigate away now!) All 4 people I was supposed to ride Buffalo Creek with yesterday bailed, so I ended up sitting around the house. I lost Jon's headset that he sent me to install in his new frame, Sarah is so stressed out she can hardly function trying to revise a paper and get ready for a conference, and then, to cap it all off, I realized I machined the head tube on Jon's lefty frame the wrong size.

Long story short, another customer had a machinist friend make a couple of C'dale head tubes for a frame (that I built) a while back. I never bothered to look up the specs, so I assumed that C'dale and the 1.5" standard (50mm ID on the head tube) were the same. Turns out that Wayne and his machinist friend led me astray (ok, to be fair, it's not their fault). So I based the head tube I made for Jon off of their specs.

Not so much a good move, that. Cannondale uses 49.5mm ID head tube. Just enough that the headset for the Lefty won't work. So Jon (luckily I figured this out before shipping the frame) is getting a new frame, and I've got a nice 29er singlespeed frame here with no home.

But hey, here's the silver lining - the frame is available for the low, low price of $800. And it includes a Cane Creek headset to allow use of a 1 1/8" fork. Here are the specs:

Singlespeed 29er frame with Paragon sliders, s-bend chain and seatstays, suspension corrected for an 80mm travel fork. Built for a 150-180# rider. Brand new, never built up or ridden. Full warranty.

Head tube: 1.5" standard (headset to use 1 1/8" fork included), 70 degrees
Toptube: 63cm (24.8") effective, 12 degree slope
Seat tube: 19" center-center, 72 degrees
BB: 12.4" height, 68mm
Chainstays: 43cm (16.9"), s-bend
Seatstays: s-bend
Dropouts: Paragon sliders
Brazeons: Guides for rear brake and full stops for gears. Under toptube routing.
Color: Waltworks "Team" BL05 baby blue

Fox F80 29er fork (new) can be added for $400. Full parts kit available. Pictures to follow later today.

Email me if you're interested or have any questions. Feel free to make a (reasonable) offer.

1 comment:

b.asti said...

Sounds like nasty days but maybe you ´ll feel a little better when hearing that a customer in spe (that is me -only a matter of time) is really lucky to read, that 72° seatangle and a sub 17 rearend is possible to get on a babyblue waltworks frame ;-).

`though, earning some money first should be prioity no. 1, I really concered about such frame design ...f***ing bike nerds ;-)

heads up.
b.asti