Thursday, May 03, 2007

Restoration, racing, and rain?


If you look closely, there's a Waltworks fork hiding under that crazy early 90s paint job - this was a fun project, doing a "semi replica" (some of the old parts don't exist any more) Fat Chance fork.

In other news, I surprised myself today by riding a smoking fast lap at Betasso (our local default ride, that I believe I've described before). My old record for the 3.5 mile loop is 13:30, but that was a speed I went 5 years ago when I was training hard and racing well (and riding a bike with gears). Starting a business and getting married pretty much ended the racing "career" but I thought I'd ride a hot lap for old time's sake. I turned a freaking 13:45, on my singlespeed! That made my day - nothing like proving to yourself that you're not (quite) over the hill. I feel like I might even be able to *beat* that old time!

So I also signed up for a really weird race this weekend - the "Burn" mountain bike time trial. It's a 22 mile race with racers sent off at 30 second intervals - insanity! Most of the fast pro guys are out of town at Fontana, so perhaps I stand a chance of being in the top half of the field. We'll see. Unfortunately, the forecast is calling for a high of 45 and rain up at Buffalo Creek, so I'm not sure I made the right choice signing up... first race of the year should be fun, not freezing cold and miserable. Gotta figure out what gear to run, too, as I'm pretty unfamiliar with the area.

BTW, if you want to do this race, you can preregister until midnight tonight on Active.com.

3 comments:

Ed said...

Jeez, quit with the "over-the-hill" talk will ya!! I'm still getting faster and my whiskers are much grayer than yours ;-)

Enjoy the race. Considering how strong you are feeling, might I suggest 32/18 or 34/20 on your 29'er for Buff Creek? Some extended but mostly non-technical climbs that'll hurt you a bit but that should put in the front if you can push it. Otherwise 32/20 is the standard. Don't forget about the final climb.

Good luck!

Ed

Walt said...

Hey Ed -

I run a 34x20 for, like, steep technical riding. I would ride Chimney Gulch on the 34x20, for example. How steep are the climbs out there? I'm almost thinking I could run 34x18.

-Walt

Ed said...

Ok then, I've run 34/16 out there and done ok. None of the climbs are horrendously steep. It's been a while since I've been on it but if I recall correctly Chimney Gulch is steeper than most BC stuff.

Ed