Sunday, March 26, 2023

If you want to buy this overpriced bike, don't bother me about it

 This happens periodically - someone emails me with a long list of detailed questions about a 2nd hand bike on the Pro's Closet.

Here's the thing - while I have nothing against TPC (it was started by an old friend and racing buddy of mine), it's a pretty hideous middleman in terms of pricing. And that overpricing reflects me personally receiving...zero dollars. 


This bike that just popped up on some targeted ad is a great example. It's a used hardtail that's a few years old, with entry (Z2 fork)/enthusiast (Notubes alloy wheels) level parts. It's not built custom for you. It's got no warranty.

Brand new, from me, this bike would cost at most $4500, and probably quite a bit less (I'm too lazy to dig into the entire parts spec). It would be built specifically for you, in your favorite color, with exactly the parts you want, with a warranty. And I would... make a profit for my hard work!

TPC originally priced it at a hilarious $4000, and has now marked it down to a mere $3400 or so (plus taxes and shipping of course). 

But that's not the subject of my rant. My rant is about people emailing *me* asking for advice about how the bike will fit them, how many miles are on it, etc, etc. 

Guys, I'm not the one selling the bike. I make zero dollars from anyone buying it. I don't get paid to answer questions about used bikes, and this is my job (or, well, retirement job at least). Want more information about the bike? Call TPC, not me.

No comments: