Friday, April 30, 2010

Guest Post: The Brian Fuentes Dream Build (by Fuentes)

I thought it would be fun to do a few posts on what the team is riding – we have some different styles and preferences and since Walt has been posting build kits, I thought our privateer specs, unbiased by corporate sponsorship might be vaguely interesting, or at least something to waste time on if it just snowed (again) and you can go riding. Ive been on a waltworks 29er since 2005, and this is my 4th team bike, the first 05 bike was a bit long for my sit up straight style, but now everything fits pretty much like a glove and I can’t ever imagine riding anything else.

What’s different this year is the MRP 1.X with the XX 36 tooth cassette– I have three hard races in varying conditions and this thing is awesome, the chain goes nowhere. I have a 35 for the steeper mountain races and a 37 for all around and short track racing – so far this has been plenty of gear. Also new this year is a DT/DT/Edge/Scrub wheel build that is incredibly light, very stiff and hopefully super durable. The whole bike is right at about 21 lbs, depending on tires and how much sealant I have in them, which seems pretty good for a 6’-3” guy at 170 lbs. See you at the races!


Fuentes Build 2010

Frame Waltworks Custom
09’ Fork Fox F80/100 RLC
Crankbrothers Headset
Stem Ritchey
Handlebar Edge Composites XC riser
Rear Shifter XX

Front Shifter none
Front derailleur MRP 1.X guide
Rear derailleur XX
Bottom Bracket King
Chain PC1090R
Cassette XX
Crankset Shimano XTR with MRP 37 or 35 front chain ring
Pedals Eggbeater 4ti
Cables/housing standard
Seatpost Easton EC90 400mm
Brakes Avid Juicy Ultimate

Rotors Scrub Workhorse
Skewers KCNC Mountain
Wheelset DT 190s, DT revolution spokes, w/Edge rims
Stan’s yellow tape

Tubes 1 qt sealant
Tires Kenda Karma 1.9
Grips silicon (thanks Shep)
Saddle Bontrager SL

Total – I try not to think about it (note from Walt: This build would cost about $5-6k, I think)

2 comments:

Dan O said...

Bike looks fantastic. Super nice.

JKersting said...

Sweet set-up. I've run my Waltworks 1X9 with just a third-eye to keep the chain in the right place. I never dropped a chain with it. The MRP looks bad-ass. Tried getting one last year but the LBS couldn't get one. Looks totally bombproof. How's the XX holding up to wear and tear?