Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday Night 10 second post

...no bicycle content...

So I'm watching Stargate SG-1 on Hulu whilst waiting for Sarah to call for a ride home (there's a foot of slush on the ground and she's on her road bike) - and I just watched an ad for Etrade (an online stock trading service) which featured... wait for it...

Talking babies.

Yes. If you are the kind of person who is easily persuaded by babies with dubbed voices talking about the stock market, you should probably take all of your savings and put it into stocks, then trade them around. Great plan.

Sigh. They'll probably make a fortune off the morons.

8 comments:

Ron and Kat said...

That commercial has been on TV for two years now and though it never once made me want to invest in stock or trade via etrade, it is hilarious...shankapotomus. Come on that's funny.

jkeiffer said...

I agree with the previous poster.

However, I never thought of it that way. It does seem ridiculously stupid when you think that they are actually trying to get people to use them.

Walt said...

I guess that if the ad (which I agree is funny, at least the first time around) is aimed at just making people aware of the existence of Etrade, then maybe it's a good ad. I *still* think anyone that opens an account because of the funny talking babies is pretty likely to lose their shirt, though.

I guess this is also evidence of how far behind the cultural zeitgeist I am at this point. It's been on for 2 years? Sheesh.

Corey said...

How much press have *other* stock trading companies gotten in this blog? ;)

Walt said...

Corey -

Good point. My hordes of followers (wealthy, attractive women, mostly, as I understand it) now know about Etrade.

Ed said...

Hey Walt, I'm starting to connect some dots here.

Ed

Tison said...

Yeah, Walt, I totally agree with you. Talking babys are just are not funny enough to get me to use E-Trade. If they could only get the Geico cavemen to do a commercial, then I would start stock trading. Those Geico commercials are SO funny! Anyways, we all know that choosing a brokerage it not important in this economy. I'm putting all my money in .9999 pure 24k gold clad (gold PLATED) Buffalo coins.

Walt said...

Tison -

I'm going with canned food, guns, and peyote.

Because nobody wants to try to steal stuff from the guy with the guns on peyote.