Thursday, January 07, 2010

Vacation post: Silly Fort Collins!

I'm typing this up while Sarah does some work (yeah, I know, it's a vacation, but she really needs to get it done, apparently - and we've got plenty of time to ride this afternoon).

I thought this article in the Daily Camera was funny - I was sort of under the impression that it was *already* illegal to ride through a red light, or the wrong way down a one-way street, or whatever. In fact, I'm guessing that the penalties for those offenses are (or were) MUCH MORE than a $35 fine, since you'd have gotten ticketed as if you were driving a car.

So basically, Fort Collins has *reduced* the penalties for riding your bike like an asshat. I'm not sure what kind of message this is intended to send, but I'd be surprised if they hand out any more tickets than the do currently (which I assume is basically none). Who the heck thinks up this kind of stuff? If you want people to behave, enforce the rules you already have, idiots!

1 comment:

Roosterweight Cimmarien said...

yeah, BUT i do support reform of the laws in effect currently, but you're right even reformed laws need to be enforced. In San Francisco, the law is treat stops as yields and red lights as stop signs, so if its safe to proceed, you can do so. I think that's pretty cool.