Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Beast...rides

It's done. Finally. Total investment: about $200 (tubular tires are darn pricey).

The build, for those who care:
-WW frame (orphan tubes), WW fork (unicrown crappiness, but it was cheap and easy)
-Thomson post and stem, natch.
-Orphan headset, square taper BB.
-Super craptacular $40 square taper track cranks. I'm running 46x15, for those who care.
-Fancy tubular wheels courtesy of NoWork.
-Tufo tubulars from BTI, along with $15 on-sale white bars (god, those look terrible)
-Sweet extra light saddle (Flite with no cover) I found in a box. Yeah, that will probably have to get replaced with something I can actually sit on.

I'm hoping to do my grand debut at the track later this week... gotta get Nowork to coach me.

10 comments:

MIClyde said...

wow. that thing just screams 'fast'. I want one too.

Walt said...

Um, yeah, but I have to actually ride it. Which means it screams "moderately incompetent", at least until I've increased my total lifetime track riding beyond the 45 minutes I've got...

Feldy said...

Dude, how'd you do the unicrown? You said crappy, but it looks alright to me.

IIRC, that Flite saddle was actually mine at one point. I believe I got in in the closeout bin at Performance in like 1994. It came with a tear. Many years later, said tear grew to the point of unrideableness and I gave it to you, who, at the time, was stoked on ripping off the rest of the padding and rocking it weightweenie-style.

Wow, that comment is probably worthy of it's own guest-blog. (Now, where's the rolleyes smilie?)

Feldy said...

And that's not a fixie; it's a track bike. I can't see anyone as iconoclastic as you ever riding some hipster status symbol, potentially on your way to Urban Mattress. ;-D (did have an emoticon for that one)

Walt said...

I hear that tubulars are rad for skidding. Especially down the handicap ramp at Urban Mattress.

Luis G. said...

That's really sweet...

Charlie Suthard said...

Rad. I can't wait to get on the track with you and NoWork. When are you going?

FixieDave said...

were's the chopped purple riser bar ;)

Have fun in the drome!

MikeQ said...

i can't wait to see you ride it to the Sun.

lets go ride the track! mint!

by the way, what are those euro-white bars all about?

Walt said...

Hey Redcoat - the bars were on sale (wonder why?) and I'm a cheap bastard. Also, there weren't any available from BSR that I liked.

Now that they're taped, it's not too noticeable.